Monday, December 12, 2011

On human rights

Did you know two days ago it was human rights day?
I did. Which is why I want to share something today that is very close to my heart.
Originally I wanted to post about this yesterday but I guess since it's a rather serious topic I didn't want to think about it too much before going to bed.


Human rights day is celebrated annually across the world on 10th of december.
The date was chosen to honor the universal declaration of human rights. 
In addition, it is traditionally on 10 December that the noble peace prize is awared.

Although I do believe that one day which should make you aware of anykind of issue is surely not as effective as trying to honor the meaning in this matter by letting it affect you in your way of living, I wanted to share a few things on here, things about human rights that I found and gather together through the years.


The pledge of Non-Violence
A few years ago, I found out about the pledge of non-violence on the internet by accident. The pledge of nonviolence was written by Martin Luther Kind Jr. and signed by his marchers in 1963.


I hereby pledge myself - my person and body - to the nonviolent movement. Therefore I will keep the following ten commandments:
1. Meditate daily on the teachings and life of Jesus.
2. Remember always that the nonviolent movement seeks justice and reconciliation - not victory.
3. Walk and talk in the manner of love, for God is love.
4. Pray daily to be used by God in order that all men might be free.
5. Sacrifice personal wishes in order that all men might be free.
6. Observe with both friend and foe the ordinary rules of courtesy.
7. Seek to perform regular service for others and for the world.
8. Refrain from the violence of fist, tongue, or heart.
9. Strive to be in good spiritual and bodily health.
10.Follow the directions of the movement and of the captain on a demonstration.

I sign this pledge, having seriously considered what I do and with the determination and will to persevere.

_____________________
Signature


As I finished reading the pledge I knew I had to take it to heart. I immidiately printed the pledge and glued it into my journal.

The reason I mention this is because I think the Martin Luther King movement totally had something to do with human rights. He and his followers insisted on the right for justice, egality and nondiscrimination.

I planned on posting the pledge on this blog for a long time because I truly believe that it makes a difference as long as you take it serious and I really believe that there are a few amongst you who would really like to take the pledge to heart. Print it and sign it. Or copy and past it on your blog. Or simply just save it to your files and try to remember it in everyday life.


A piece of art
At this point I would like to incoporate some art.
Once I had to write an essay on Mahatma Gandhi. And I needed a picture for the cover. Well, probabely just wanted to procrastinate and play for time. At first it was just doodling but then the doodles turned into this.



I drew it with black pastel crayon.

I always found Mahatma Gandhi was a person one should look up to because what he did can never be forgotten.


The current situation in the mediterranean
I am sure you already know about the situation in the meditterranean escalating. About the flow of refugees at the southern european coast. Thousands of african refugees are fleeing, led by the belief that they will be secure and save in europe. Thousands of them risk their life in search of a better life.
But similar as it happend to Joseph and Mary whilst they were searching for a warm place, for shelter in the midst of the night, these refugees get turned down too. It's not my intention to talk about if it is right or wrong to offer them asylum. What I want is to make you aware of the inhumanity of how the refugees get treated. When they arrive at the coasts of Italy. Or when ships pass the refugees on their shipwrecked rubber boats at risk of drowning.



When drowning men don't get rescued, when at the end of a long journey which began in the middle of night in africa with rubber boats only 5 out of 100 refugees survived, when a german journalist gets sued for rescuing those who were in danger by setting out to sea in his boat. I feel like it is a major moral obligation to rescue and help these and every other people in need.


I so hope you can get something out of this post.
Please feel free to leave your thoughts in the comments. I would love to read them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave some love.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...